Modular outdoor kitchens (MOKs) are today’s big hit for many home improvement enthusiasts and handy homeowners. This Orlando outdoor kitchen setup has attracted an audience because of its aesthetic and design flexibility.
When you begin your web research about MOKs, you’ll encounter them under many different names, such as a custom outdoor kitchen, a BBQ grill island kit, full outdoor kitchen island, prefab outdoor kitchens, a complete outdoor kitchen project, movable kitchen and bar island, and outdoor grill islands.
In this blog, we’ll talk about the general idea behind an outdoor kitchen setup. We’ll cover the general definition of MOKs, the benefits and disadvantages, and the different components of MOKs.
What Are Modular Kitchens?
Modular kitchens are purpose-built spaces outdoors equipped with all the necessary amenities and appliances for cooking. These kitchens can be as small or large as you want and can be customized to your liking.
They usually consist of a countertop, a sink, a grill, a storage area, an outdoor fireplace, and other types of Orlando outdoor kitchen furniture. The modular design of this ready-to-assemble (RTA) kitchen means that it can be installed quickly and easily by a handy homeowner.
However, unlike an indoor kitchen, MOKs need to be able to withstand the elements. They must be durable enough to withstand sun, rain, snow, and even ice.
Should You Own a Modular Outdoor Kitchen?
If you’re looking to take your home aesthetic to the next level, modular outdoor kitchen islands may be at the top of your choices. However, you need to remember a few essential points before buying a modular Orlando outdoor kitchen kit.
Why Should You?
- Easy installation: You don’t need to have the skill of a trained contractor to set up a modular unit or custom islands. MOKs are designed for easy installation. All you need to have is an even ground and the ability to follow instructions.
- Flexible design: MOKs are available in various styles, colors, and materials. Whether you’re a minimalist or an industrialist, you can execute your outdoor kitchen design without sacrificing quality and comfort.
- Relatively cheaper: The cost of a modular outdoor kitchen is lower than the cost of a traditional built-in indoor kitchen. If you’re on a budget, MOKs provide an excellent way to increase the look and value of your home.
Why Shouldn’t You?
- Lack of permanence: A lot of times, many Orlando outdoor kitchen components are not durable enough to withstand the elements over time. If you reside in a city or state with extreme weather conditions, it’s essential to factor in the long-term durability of your MOK.
- High-maintenance: MOKs need to be cleaned and maintained regularly to look their best and preserve their quality. If you’re unwilling to put in the time and effort, opting for an MOK may not be the right choice.
- Spacing problems: If you have a small backyard or outdoor space, MOKs may not be the best option. These kitchens can take up a lot of space, so it’s essential to make sure you have enough room to accommodate your new kitchen setup.
Different Units of a Modular Outdoor Kitchen
Modular outdoor kitchens may come in prefab Orlando outdoor kitchen kits or individual units. When selecting the appropriate unit for your kitchen, it’s essential to consider the size of your outdoor space, your specific needs, and your budget.
There are tons of high-quality units or kits available on the market. However, not all units are created equal. To help you make an educated decision, we’ve compiled a list of the different types of units you’ll likely come across when shopping for your MOK:
Outdoor Kitchen Cabinets:
Blaze 39 Inch Access Door and Triple Drawer Combo
This access door and triple drawer combo is built with grade 304 stainless steel. It’s perfect for storing all your outdoor kitchen essentials, including spices, silverware, pots, and pans. This unit is durable and user-friendly, with a smooth gliding drawer and soft-closing doors.
Blaze 18 Inch Roll Out Trash/Propane Tank Storage Drawer
The Blaze 18 Inch Roll Out Trash/Propane Tank Storage Drawer is a must-have for any MOK build. This unit allows you to keep your trash hidden away while quickly accessing it when needed. It’s also great for storing propane tanks, keeping them within reach but out of sight. The unit is structured with grade 304 stainless steel build and soft-closing glides.
Sealed Dry Storage Pantry
The Alfresco Sealed Dry Storage Pantry is perfect for storing dry goods, spices, and non-perishable items. With a weather-tight seal, you don’t have to worry about your pantry contents getting wet or damaged. The unit is also built with sturdy construction, ensuring that your stored items are safe and secure.
Outdoor Kitchen Fridges:
Blaze Double Drawer 5.1 cu. ft. Refrigerator
If you’re looking for a durable and spacious fridge for your modular outdoor kitchen, look no further than the Blaze Double Drawer 5.1 cu. ft. Refrigerator. This fridge is built with 304-grade stainless steel and features two drawers perfect for storing all your food and drinks. With a sleek design, this fridge will complement any Orlando outdoor kitchen setup.
7.25 CU.ft. Under-grill Refrigerator
The Alfresco 7.25 CU.ft. Under-grill Refrigerator is the perfect way to keep your food and drinks cool while cooking outdoors. This fridge features a complete stainless aesthetic with a 1,000 BTU all-weather cooling system to keep your cans and food fresh despite the extreme external elements.
Blaze 32″ Charcoal Grill
This charcoal grill features four individual cooking grids, making adding charcoal and wood hassle-free while cooking. The Blaze 32″ Charcoal Grill also has a built-in pull-out ash pan for quick and easy cleanup and a double-lined grill hood to protect the integrity of the grill material.
56″ Luxury Deluxe Grill
This Alfresco 56″ Luxury Deluxe Grill is perfect for the outdoor chef who wants the best of the best. With a dual side burner and an expansive grilling space of 770 sq. in., this grill has everything you need to cook a gourmet meal outdoors. The 18-SR stainless steel construction ensures that this grill will withstand the elements and last for years to come.
Outdoor Kitchen Accessories:
Blaze Beverage Center
This beverage center features 304-grade stainless steel construction and is perfect for storing all your outdoor kitchen necessities. This unit provides ample storage space for beverages, glasses, mugs, and more with its multifarious functions. The Blaze Beverage Center also has an insulated ice bin to keep your drinks cold and a built-in bottle opener for convenience.
Alfresco Pizza Oven Plus
The Alfresco Pizza Oven Plus is the perfect accessory for your modular outdoor kitchen. This high-performance gas-fired oven boasts a 304 18-8 heli-arc welded steel. Because of its formidable structure, the Alfresco Pizza Oven Plus is built to withstand extreme heat, allowing you to cook anything from pizza to roast chicken.
What Do You Need To Consider When You Decide To Build MOKs?
Now, don’t get too excited. An outdoor kitchen is a fantastic idea, but here are a few considerations you also need to keep in mind before committing to the modular concept:
- Price range: Just like an indoor kitchen, there is a wide range of prices for building an outdoor kitchen. You can find prefabricated outdoor kitchens that are reasonably priced, or you can go all out and have one custom-made with all the trimmings. It all depends on your budget.
- Availability of water supply and electrical outlets: Most MOK units are explicitly made for GFCI outlets. Additionally, if you are situated in an area where the power goes out frequently, it’s critical to have a backup plan for your MOK. The same goes for water supply. If you live in an area with a high water table, you’ll need to be extra careful when situating your MOK units.
- Backyard space: As mentioned earlier, MOKs may take up a significant amount of space in your backyard. If you have a small backyard, you may need to get creative with your MOK layout. Additionally, if you have pets or children, you’ll need to ensure that they won’t be able to access your MOK when you’re not around.
Outdoor living spaces are making a huge wave right now. Many people are starting to appreciate outdoor living since the pandemic took over the globe. Because of this, the demand for outdoor kitchens has increased significantly.
One of the reasons outdoor kitchens are becoming more popular is that they offer a great way to entertain guests while still maintaining social distancing guidelines.
However, before jumping on another significant home improvement trend, make sure to do your due research. What we listed here does not enumerate everything you need to know about MOKs. There is a multitude of facets you still need to assess.
We hope this article helped you create an informed decision about MOKs, or at least introduced you to the concept.